Skip to content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer

Lisnaskea

Lisnaskea is County Fermanagh’s second town, although in this intensely rural and aquatic county, that means a population of around 2,500. The town is built around the long main street, which bends at almost 90 degrees along its course, and has a strong Plantation pedigree.

Sir Michael Balfour took control of the town through the Plantation, but Lisnaskea has a very proud heritage dating back to the ruling Maguire Clan of Fermanagh. Lisnaskea was once the Seat of the Clan, where Kings were crowned and ruled the County. This strategic importance led to the town changing hands many times over the years until 1821 when it came under the control of the Earls of Erne.

The Erne’s were generally beneficial landlords, establishing the market in the town whilst aiding and controlling development around the high street. The town has a strong heritage in the production of sandstone and limestone, which can be witnessed in much of building in the area. However, it is largely an agricultural area, which Lisnaskea services and this is the backbone of the local economy.

One of the Erne’s contributions to the town was the Cornmarket, built in 1841, which features a carved High Cross depicting Adam & Eve beneath a tree. The Cross is taken from an early monastery and provides a striking centre point to the village. An inscription in the Cornmarket reads ‘Live and Let Live’ and seems fitting for this friendly and welcoming town.

Just off the Main Street can be found the ruins of Castle Balfour, built in 1618 by the Balfour’s. The castle was inhabited right up to the early 19th Century and is currently undergoing a restoration programme to return it to something approaching its former glory as the focal point of the village.

Pubs & Restaurants, Lisnaskea

Taxi Service, Lisnaskea