Necarne Castle – Ulster Lakeland Equestrian Park
Set in 200 acres of rolling pastures and extensive woodland, this impressive facility offers a wide variety of equestrian activities to locals and visitors alike such as schooling of horses and ponies for dressage, show jumping and cross-country competitions.
All instruction is delivered by BHS qualified instructors with group lessons from 9am – 9pm daily and private lessons 9am – 6pm mid-week, training is provided for BHS stage exams, instructors and groom qualifications as well as working pupil training programmes and high level courses for specific equestrian disciplines. The park and the surrounding woodlands are ideal for country walks. Packages can be arranged for weekend breaks or longer visits with accommodation in on site apartments.
Necarne is rich in history. Edward Warde was the first undertaker of the land around Irvinestown at the time of the Plantation of Ulster in 1610. Undertakers were civilian groups who undertook, depending on the area of the ground they were given, to build a house and bawn, take in only British tenants at the rate of 24 men per 1000 acres (4 km²), and to keep a number of armed men. Warde’s patent was dated 13th May 1611. In those days the land was known as Nakarney or Nakarna (Necarne). The land changed hands a few times until finally Gerard Lowther took possession of it in 1615.
The has always been much speculation as to how Necarne got its name. Legend has it that Hugh Roe O’Donnell, an Irish chieftain, was on one of his marches to discipline the O’Briens who were collaborating with the English. He noticed an army fortification on his left flank and ordered his men to investigate it. They returned to say “Ni carn e” or there is no building there. Hence, the name Necarne.